Akua is a software engineer at Lyst and has been there for 6 months.
A misconception that just needs to go is that you need to be a genius to work in the tech industry. You don’t. You just need to have a passion and a desire to learn.Akua Apeagyei
Sections of this video:
- Educational Background- 00:10
- Advice for students choosing their subjects- 01:05
- Not attending university?- 01:43
- Steps to increase technical skill- 02:38
- A Day in the Life of a Software Engineer- 03:36
- Unexpected things about your career- 05:31
- The Technical Aspects- 07:02
- And for those just starting out?- 08:49
- Experiences as a woman in tech- 09:39
So How Can I Become a Software Engineer?
As Akua pointed out, people get into software engineering from very diverse backgrounds but there are some subjects that are helpful to study which include:
- Computer Science
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Information Systems
- Electronic Engineering
How Much will I earn?
This does depend on where you choose to work but software engineering salaries can start from £18,000 a year and from there the average salary for a software engineer is between £25,000 and £50,000 a year.
In more senior roles, the salary can vary from £45,000 to £70,000 or sometimes more per year.*
Code First: Girls- https://www.codefirstgirls.org.uk/